Sunday, May 25, 2008

Spring gardening AND Mother's Day 2008, Version 2

Last weekend was a super busy weekend. Not only did we go Strawberry picking, but I got a chance to play in the garden. After picking the berries, I planted about 19 plants! Yes, 19! They are all summer blooming, so the fruits of my labor will be enjoyed throughout the summer.

Can you believe this is my garden? I am in awe. We planted this patch when I was pregant with Nathan. It is turning out so well. The grey small plantings are lamb's ear from our dear friend, Connie's garden. The flowers are various peonies. They are nothing but pure enjoyment for the eyes and nose. They are so fragrant. I only wish they bloomed year round! The tree in the back is a pink Japanese Dogwood. They bloom later than the normal American Dogwood, but they are worth the wait.


The plants that I planted will bloom in the summer, so this garden will have year round interest now. The show starts in the spring with the Azaleas, to the peonies, to the Astillbe, the Stella D'Oro day lillies, the Black Eyed Susans, and the grasses will show all year long (not shown in this picture). I am very proud of this patch (can you tell?)

Closeup of the pink dogwood.

Here is a picture of my lovelies in front of the garden. Corinne is wearing the ladybug dress that I referenced a few posts back. It came out great. It was a pre-shirred fabric that was sold by the yard. In most cases, all you have to do is zip up a seam, hem the bottom, and the item is done. However, in this case the fabric had a strip of ladybugs at the bottom that I didn't want to loose in the hem. Instead, I took up the fabric right underneath the pre-shirred fabric. I added the red strip at the waist and I added ties to the top for straps. I think it came out very cute, and Corinne enjoys wearing it.



The same day we went to the patch, and planted 19 plants throughout the yard, Corinne and I made a cake to take to Mother's Day #2. We were inspired by a kids cookbook given to her as a gift. I think the cake came out very much like the picture in the book. It was a lemon cake, and it was GREAT!


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails