Sunday, May 25, 2008

Baby Girl Blanket

I made this gift a while ago, but have been waiting for the right light to take the picture. This is a gift for a friend of mine who recently had a baby girl. I intended to make a blanket that the child can enjoy through toddlerhood, rather than newborn baby hood.

Learning from my experiences, kids love very, very soft blankets with the satin binding. I made this blanket with materials that were super soft. The back is a soft pink polka-dot mink, the front a soft flannel with small roses on it. I added the flower patch for some more interest in the front.




I found the satin binding very difficult to work with. I don't like to hand-sew, so I thought I could just stitch in on in one sitting around the blanket. I wasn't sure how it would press against the mink, so I thought, sure, this would be no problem. Um, no. I must not know how to work with this stuff correctly because it took me way too long, and way too many ripping of seams. I ended up hand-stitching some of the binding in the back. This was not one of my best works. However, I think a small little girls hands will still love to rub the blanket against her face, and pinch and rub the satin with those little fingers. She won't notice the bad stitches for years to come....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails