Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Easy Summer Dress

I made one of these last year, from the “per inch” stash of shirred fabric from Jo-Ann.  The fabrics are so cute, they are hard to pass up.

IMG_0026

I have to fix a tie that’s a little off, but other than that, it’s an OK dress. 

The fabrics are so cute, but really, when you stitch them up, there’s just not a lot of shape to the dresses.  I am wondering, if I cut off the part below the shirring, hem it, then add some elastic to the bottom to make it more of a skirt, will it look cuter as a shirt/skirt combo? 

If you have any ideas or suggestions, please comment.  I’d love to hear about your experience with these fabrics.

1 comment:

Rachael Adele said...

Inspired by Heather Ross' "Weekend Sewing", I decided to give shirring a try with elastic thread in the bobbin, and regular thread on top. Super easy and kind of fun! It does shrink to about half of its originally size, so my 45" wide fabric ended up being the size for a little girl, not for me (as I was hoping).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails